Six ways to Spend Less


I've shared a lot about our budget cuts since I became a stay at home mom. People always ask me how I go without spending tons on new clothes, eating out as much, or having a car. I've shared a lot of the why, but not the how that makes it possible! Having a WHY you're doing something is the only way to stick to it, but there has to be a HOW to make it happen.

So to refresh your memory about some of our major budget cuts, read Budget Cuts to Become a SAHM!

1. Remind Yourself WHY
If you're struggling to manage your spending, remind yourself why you need to. WRITE down your why. If I write something down, it is ingrained in my mind way more than if I think or say it. Every time you want to spend on something you don't need, remind yourself why you shouldn't

2. Use Cash Only
This means you have to SAVE up the money for purchases. If we buy something online then we deposit the cash back into our checking account to pay for it.

3. Delete your Amazon app
If you are an amazonaholic, and constantly take advantage of that prime shipping (cough cough daniel) then delete the app. That simple. If you have to take the extra step to log into your account to order something, it gives you a moment to consider if you really need it.

4. Stay Home
We spend 100% more money when we go out than staying home. We end up eating out, buying new clothes, or spending it on entertainment. On months when we are completely out of our miscellaneous budget, then we are staying home. This is super hard for my husband who isn't a homebody like me.

5. Don't Click the Ads or Online Shop
If you know you are trying to save money, why torture yourself by heading to Nordstrom's website for that sale. Just because its on sale doesn't mean you need it. I promise it will go on sale again.

6. Unfollow Influencers That Encourage You To Spend Money
This isn't something I've done because I personally don't feel pressured to buy those $200 Madewell jeans, but lots of people do. I follow fashion bloggers for outfit inspiration that I can use clothes I already have for. If you see a top on liketoknowit you have to have, and end up buying something new every week then you should probably unfollow that person for a little while.

Even if you're a SAHM like me, not bringing in a huge income, you still have a major impact on the finances of your family. You can use that influence to set your family up for success, or impact your budget negatively. We've been there. We've spent too much, saved too little, and wasted lots of money. I promise you can live even more happily with much less.

xoxo, 
kelsey 

Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives