Guest Bedroom Redo!



A month ago I never would have been excited to have someone stay in our guest bedroom, but now that I have completed our bedroom flip it's a different story! I'm sure you've felt the same way at some point. All we had to offer guests was a bed which is really all they need, but I wanted to create a space where people felt comfortable and welcomed, but still stay on a pretty slim budget using things we already owned. I can't wait to have family and friends stay in this cozy space. So if you're reading this (friends and family) let me know and you'll be our first guests!!


We started with a completely tan room, sorry I don't have pictures, but just imagine lots of tan. Even our ceilings were tan, so I spent about 10 hours just painting the ceilings white! This was so painful. Looking up for that long stinks. I knew that I wanted to paint the walls gray, but who knew there were so many different grays to choose from! We finally settled on Behr Sparrow, but then I put it on the walls and freaked out. It was 10x darker than I expected, but I had already bought the first gallon so I was stuck with it. Praise the Lord that my momma had the genius idea to mix it with a gallon of white, which completely saved the day. Now the color is way closer to the paint swatch if you ask me. We also went ahead and painted our other spare room, but left one wall white to create a diy shiplap wall later on.


After I finished the walls, I started working on the furniture that was leftover from my husbands childhood bedroom. meaning it's about twenty years old, so not quite vintage just outdated. Check out my post about redoing the dresser and nightstand here.



I also had an old lamp that I thought about throwing out, but figured I could give it one more chance with a little spray paint and a new lampshade. Who knew that an ugly lamp could turn into something so great! I got the lampshade at At Home for $10, and decided to go with bright white to keep things simple. 


I found these adorable metal decorations in Granbury at Wagon Yard. They were the first decorations we got, and really inspired the whole thing! I originally had three, but then I found this adorable sign from Hobby Lobby that I knew would look perfect over the bed. It only cost $15 with the 40% off coupon they always have online. I also snagged this "be my guest" sign from Hobby Lobby for less than $10. Daniel made the arrows using 2x4s and staining them gray and brown. He made similar ones for my office, but we hung those vertically. The curtains were such a steal from Walmart for $15! I stopped trying to buy everything at Target when I realized that Walmart actually has decent curtains and rugs if you have a small budget. 






Daniel added his touch by making this rustic arrows! All he had to do was cut 2x4s at an angle, sand them, then stain them different colors! I have a set in my office hung vertically. 



I ordered this fresh white quilt from Amazon. I was really hesitant about committing to a white quilt, but it's a guest room! It gets such little use, and we always keep the door closed to prevent obi (our Australian shepherd) from lounging on the bed. All in all, I'm so happy we went with the white quilt to keep the room bright considering it's so small. The quilt goes perfectly with the headboard that we made. It was super simple and cheap, check out that post here.


I wish I could say that this room is completely done, but I still have some finishing touches that I will get to eventually! I want to add a gray or blue throw blanket to the end of the bed. Daniel already bought the supplies to make me a blanket ladder. I think I'll get a few more throw pillows that are brighter, and maybe some decorations for above the dresser. 

The whole reason to complete this is because I want guests to feel comfortable and welcomed! In our old room, it just felt thrown together. Be our guest! 

xoxo,
kelsey



Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives