Shiplap Headboard



I've had the DIY itch for the whole summer! So I finally scheduled a time with my hubby to make this headboard. We have a tiny guest room that I've been working on fixing up. I really like to keep spending to a minimum when it comes to decorations, especially in rarely used room like a guest room. I can't wait for you to make your own headboard to add to a bedroom in your house. I will include dimensions for a queen and king headboard. It actually saves you money if you make a queen and king together! I made a king for my sister, and a queen for our guest room.


Queen Dimensions:
60 inches wide
48 inches tall (legs and headboard)
40 inches tall (just headboard)

King Dimensions:
83 inches wide
54 inches tall (legs and headboard)
40 inches tall (just headboard)

Supplies:
Sander
Drill
Screws
5 2x8s 12 feet long
2 2x4s 10 feet long
Paint
Stain



Trips to Home Depot are always a little stressful to me because I feel like we are going to end up buying the wrong thing and making a mistake! This trip was mistake free, and we came home with exactly what we needed.

Daniel cut the width of the headboard first. If you buy the 12 foot long 8x2s then you have exactly enough for a queen and a king headboard with no scraps. (5 feet for the queen & 7 feet for the king) If you aren't making both, then you can either buy less or shorter ones. I'm not sure what variations they have in 8x2s, but it's worth looking to save some money. Then he cut the legs out of 2x4s. The queen legs should be 4 feet, and the king legs need to be 4.5 feet.


Daniel then attached the boards to the legs using just screws. He had the brilliant idea of screwing through the back of the legs, instead of the front so that the screws would be completely hidden. We measure 2 inches from the top of the board, and lined the legs up evenly with the boards.


After it was completely put together, I took over by sanding the entire headboard. The sides, the legs, the face of it, you don't want anyone getting splinters while staying in the guest bedroom. 

                  

Some of your boards may have writing on them, which I always thought was terrible. I really thought you just had to use the other side, but I realized I could just sand the words out! 


I knew I wanted to do a white headboard, but wasn't sure how many coats I wanted. So I decided to test out the top board to see if it was what I wanted! I loved the white washed look, especially because the other furniture in the room is white, but completely white with no word showing through. 

 

It's so pretty to be able to see the grain of the wood and all the imperfections. It's also pretty great to only have to do one coat after the five coats I had to put on the other furniture in this space!!!!!



This finished product was exactly what I wanted. Simple. Clean. Rustic. 


I love how simple this space is. So uncluttered. Even the walls are lightly decorated which is so important in a small room to make it feel open. To see the full bedroom renovation check out my post about the furniture here and guest bedroom redo here

xoxo, 
kelsey

Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives